Sunday, November 7, 2010

Point and Guess

So inside the university, many students (excluding Freshmen) know some level of English. However, once you leave the gates of the university, most of the 900,000 people of Hechuan, speak NO English!

Since going out to eat is cheaper than cooking, (usually $0.50- $1.50/meal),  
atleast twice a day, I find myself sitting inside a garage-style restaurant loaded with tables and plastic Kid Stools. I grab a menu, but it's completely loaded with symbols!! Now, I've learned some symbols like chicken, beef, spicy, noodle, rice, vegetable, stir-fried and egg, but for the most part,  
I'm HELPLESS when it comes to PICKING DINNER

So we invented a Game called Point and Guess! You point, shake your head yes, and the food comes! The technique hasn't failed us yet..

Only 2 Things I've learned to WATcH OuT for:

Huajiao!
If you're in the mood for a numb-your-mouth experience; here's one for ya!


Pork!
Pork is the common protein here, no escape for me..not a fan! Yesterday, I was at lunch with 2 friends, Lucky and Home. I pointed to one symbol and said in Chinese, "What is this called?" Stumped, she hunted for the word in her Chinese-English dictionary on her phone.  "This, it means this!" 'Intestine...small organ of pig'! Today, I learned one my favorite restaurants serves Pork Blood, a "healthy" and delicious delicacy.  I memorized that character so quick...AVOID at all COSTS!

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl, I am with you on watching out for Huajiao! can't stand the stuff! Hope you're doing well.
    -Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete